Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Dangers In Bike Riding...

So today Nick went out on a 25 mile bike ride with the boy scouts. It is something he love doing and looks forward to. Along the way he got into a little accident with another biker. He used his hands to stop the fall and was a little scrapped up but decide that he was fine to finish the ride. I talked to him when he was on his way home and he sound like he was in a lot of pain. So I decided to find a baby sitter for the girls (thanks again Erica) and take him up to the hospital. His wrist was really swollen. It only took 7 hours for them to determine it was in fact broken and put a cast on it. It must have been quite some bike ride because one of the other leaders that was involved in the same wreck Nick was in broke his elbow. Nick is not very happy that he is going to have to wear this cast for at least 3 months, and he will be down from flying for at least 3 months also. But the good news is that it doesn't look like he is going to need surgery. They said if it was too out of place they would have to do surgery, but his is only a little out of place, so as long as it doesn't shift at all he will be okay. They gave him some pain medicine that really seemed to ease the pain. Unfortunately it is starting to wear off right now so he is not too happy right now. He goes back in a week for more x-rays to make sure everything is still looking good.

He wasn't too excited about me snapping pictures of all of this, but come on, what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't?

This was pre pain medication.

With the medication working in full force he was more than happy to smile for my pictures. The were prepping him here for his cast.


A little bit of cotton to give it some cushion.

And here is the finished product. At least it is something small that nobody will really notice huh!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Yikes! Not a good day for a bike ride.

Jenn said...

and that's exactly why I don't exercise!!! Get well soon tho Nick!

Taylor said...

Did he get to pick the color of his cast?

Candi said...

Actually I picked it. He picked black and I told the lady I thought blue would be better. So she did blue. After he got it done he was glad he went with my choice.

Holmes Family said...

That's too bad. I hope it heals quickly. It must've been a pretty bad crash. I also think Kaylee's hair cut is really cute! She's growing up so fast.

Moses Family - The Burning Bush said...

your such agood blogger! Feel better Nick ! (take you vitamin M)

Nicole Shelby said...

i still find this hilarious!

but, it's probably a little bit easier now with the slightly smaller cast.