Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Girls Camp... 7/5 - 7/9/2011

A few months ago I was called at the girls camp leader in our ward. I was really excited to get a chance to go to camp with they young women since I didn't join the church until I was 19, this was something I had missed out on. We worked really hard getting everything ready before heading up to camp, like making our matching shirts and writing our skit. The theme for camp this year was "How will your fairytale end". Since it was a princess theme each ward was assigned a different princess to represent. We were given Snow White which turned out to be a really fun one to have. We had nine girls from our ward go along with two leaders so needless to say we had a lot of fun in our cabin. I was told that we had a pretty "cushy" camp. Each ward had their own cabin with nice comfy beds, bathrooms, shower, and a drinking fountain all inside. The best part for me was that we didn't have to cook any of our meals or wash any of our dishes because they had people there to do that for us. We had such a fun week and the girls really grew closer with each other and to their Heavenly Father, which was great to see.


This is our group the first day we got there
Every day there was a Ward vs. Ward challenge. On this day it was tug-o-war. Our girls were very upset that they did not win this won. The team they were going against had their bishop and a couple other leaders helping them so our girls felt like they were cheated out of their win. Luckily it didn't take them too long to get over it.



Here they are preforming their skit dressed as Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. They did such a great job with this, it was funny and had good message behind it. I was very proud of them.





The girls filled some of their "down time" by decorating our cabin...





and painting each others finger nails.

Another of the Ward vs. Ward challenges was to put five girls on a pair of wooden skies and have them walk from one set of cones to the other. This was much harder than it looked because the girls had to really communicate with each other as to which foot to move and work together. The did really good at this. They made it to the final race and were beaten out by a hair by the team that had beaten them the night before, (which didn't make them to happy, but they hid it well)



The day of our 5 mile hike (which I think ended up only being 3 miles) turned out to be a very hot day. The hike was pretty tough on some of the girls because it was STRAIGHT up pretty steep trail. I was so proud of them all making it to the top and getting to enjoy this nice view from the top. They definitely deserved their pool break that day.

The last day the challenge was cake decorating challenge. This was the one our girls had been waiting for all week so they were very excited when the day finally came. We have quite a few artistic girls in our group so it didn't take long for their creative juices to start flowing. They decided the wanted to an Alice in Wonderland cake. It turned out so impressive. After seeing all the hands that were touching this cake I just couldn't bring myself to have a piece, but they all said it tasted good. :)



This is the final product. This challenge wasn't judge because they just wanted the girls to have fun with it, but in my opinion it was the best looking one. :) (it says "Mad as a Hatter" on it in case you can't read it)

It was seriously such a fun week. I look forward to going again next year.

No comments: