This may not seem like such a big deal to some people who grew up canning their own jam, but to me it is a big deal. Here is a little back story as to why. Until last month I had never even tasted homemade jam before. Growing up we were very poor so we mostly just got whatever jelly the local food bank was giving out. It never even occurred to me that you could make your own. Fast forward to last month, after a couple of weeks of harassing my home teacher into doing his home teaching so I could get a jar of his wives homemade jam. I made the family some toast with their breakfast and Nick and I were just amazed at how much better it tasted than store bought. Who new there was this little treasure of yummyness waiting to be made. So I decided this was something I was going to learn how to do myself.
One of the perks of being relief society president is that when there is something I want to learn it is not hard to turn it into an enrichment activity. When I brought it up to the other ladies they were interested as well. So this past Tuesday we had Sister Spring come in and teach us how to make both cooked jam and freezer jam. I thought it was awesome, and I really learned a lot. Now it was time to put my new skills to use. So last night I decided to make my own. I made 37 jars last night. (not bad for a beginner) I made strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and peach. My family is pretty excited about it and I had fun doing it, so it was a win win. Now just for the record we have not tasted it yet because it was so hot, so Katie you may not be off the hook yet I may still be begging to have my home teaching done. :)
8 comments:
1. AWSOME JOB!!!!
2. Thank you for saying you had to bug your home teacher and not his wife to get your jam.
3. Sister Spring did a great job.
4. I am glad I got out of it.
5. I know now not to let you know what I can do.
6. I will always have jam for those who Home Teach, Visit Teach, or just ask for it(of course with a catch).
Congrats!!!
Oh C'mon, doesn't everyone make their own jam!? pft!
I LOVE homemade jam! Good job! I can't believe you did ALL those flavors in ONE DAY! We'll have to come visit again while we're down there.
Awesome! I made homemade bread for the first time this weekend.
Sooo...I'm thinking there needs to be some swapping going on... :-)
I sure wish I lived closer to you.
You are amazing!!
Great job, Candi!!!! It all looks so good. We made strawberry, raspberry and peach. My peach doesn't look like peach--it looks like strawberry but it does taste like peach. I'm waiting for the blackberries to come out hopefully one more time. Way to go!
That is so impressive, You did a lot, and where very busy. I want to make some different kinds. Good job.
Wow! Good job Candy! Now you need to learn to can meats, and I will be there! I am clueless when it comes to canning!!
Post a Comment