Friday, December 5, 2008

Kitchen update...

Everyone keeps asking me how the kitchen remodel is coming along, so here is the update. A lot has happened in the past week. I have never been thru a remodel before so I really didn't know what to expect. It is kinda weird because for we went for almost a week of Nick doing constant work along with whoever came by to help, and I really wasn't seeing much progress. It just all seemed to be going very slow. Now you can see major progress and it is very comforting to me.


Here is a picture of my family last Sunday eating dinner in our construction zone.

This is a very old house and the people that had it before us didn't seem to take very good care of it so we found a lot of damage and rotten wood. Nick had to take out a lot of the wood and replace it.

It got down to where they were literally standing on the dirt beneath our house.


Now the progress was starting to take form. They got the wall built back up that separates the kitchen from the family room. This is Jared working on the last of the drywall for that wall. There was dust everywhere so the pictures are a little fuzzy.

This is standing in the kitchen looking thru the window into the family room. This is the wall where the sink and dishwasher will be. This is before they put all the putty on the wall and did their finishing touches, but you can get the idea of what it looks like.

I have quickly learned that when you get a group of guys together with a bunch of tools they start brain storming on what they can brake and then rebuild. So with the sink wall well on its way to being fixed they decided to brake out the wall where the fridge and pantry is going to go (that wall is shared with the garage) and extend it into the garage and build a new wall which would give us more walking space in the kitchen and make it bigger. So this picture is standing in the dining room looking into the garage and kitchen with its missing wall. Also this door way you see was also taken down and moved over to the right and widened.

This is John finishing tearing up the last of that wall in preparation for the new extension on the kitchen.


Now I should probably mention that the wall that they took down held the support beam for the house so they had to put a new support beam in.

This is Mark helping Nick hammer the support beam into place.


The wall has now been rebuilt and drywalled. I didn't get any pictures of that because I have been busy trying to keep the kids out of the way and happy (two things that really haven't been going hand in hand) Right now Nick is in there painting and doing last minute touch ups. Tomorrow morning bright and early our friend Ryan is coming over and him and Nick are going to start installing the cabinets. Nick keeps reminding me that just because the cabinets are going in doesn't mean the kitchen will be done, there will still be a lot of work to do. We wont have counter tops for probably another two weeks. They will also need to still drywall the dining room and family room. I will just be so happy to get all these cabinet boxes out of my living room so my girls and I have a little more space to move around. I will take some pictures tomorrow of the progress so stay tuned...

No comments: